Hi 👋 - I'm Joon, a researcher focused on making the world more accessible.
Ph.D. Student @ Carnegie Mellon University, Human-Computer Interaction Institute
I'm a second-year Ph.D. student at Carnegie Mellon University's School of Computer Science, advised by Patrick Carrington and Andrew Begel. I focus on understanding, designing, and building AI-equipped assistive technology (AT) and how such tools affect and alter existing social dynamics in intro- and extra-spective ways – tackling stigma, user-assimilation, and the AT adoption/abandonment problem through my research.
- 2023 Oct - 🤠 College Autism Summit 23 @ Nashville - Presented a talk on autistic workers' use of LLMs for social advice. (Please ask for a paper predraft if interested!)
- 2023 Jul - ⭐ ND at Work Workshop @ Seattle - Presented on ongoing work and student-volunteered
- 2023 Jan - 🌐 Overhauled this personal website for improved design and accessibility
- 2022 Nov - 🎉 Joined the VariAbility Lab
- 2022 Oct - 🇬🇷 ASSETS 22 @ Athens: shared a poster and participated as an SV
- J.W. Jang, Y. Li, P. CarringtonASSETS 22: Proceedings of the 24th International ACM SIGACCESS Conference on Computers and AccessibilityA preliminary analysis to understand the uses, needs, and design considerations for an autonomous wheelchair navigation UX.[PDF]
- J. Zong*, C. Lee*, A. Lundgard*, J.W. Jang, D. Hajas, A. SatyanarayanEurographics Conference on Visualization (EuroVis) 2022Ascertaining the design space possibilities for screen-reader accessible data visualizations.[PDF]
- Y.H. Peng, J.W. Jang, J. Bigham, A. PavelCHI 21 - Proceedings of the 2021 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing SystemsIntroducing Presentation A11y, a system that provides real-time and post-presentation accessibility feedback.